Monday 2 February 2015

Week 8 10th-14th nov

I designed a template for the laser cutter to try out on a few different materials. I am interested in how   incisions into a surface can allow it to expand and contract. My session was short so managed to do two samples. One using thick pink PVC (which I don't think I will be allowed to use again because of the fumes) and the other on PVC coated tarpaulin. 

I accidentally placed the pink PVC slightly off on the laser cutter bed so the edge didn't cut through. But I am pleased with the result as holding one end in place totally changes the movement, allowing the surface to fan out. Several people around the studio have placed this piece around the body, as a sleeve, cape or neck piece. It's interesting to see how different people react to the samples. I like that fun engagement.

The template for the blue pvc coated tarpaulin was thinner more dense. This really alters how the finished sample moves around. It moves around more fluidly and even has a slight pull back when laid flat.

There is a lot of experimenting to be done with this template. Next I want to try other materials as well as changing the length and width of the lines, and see how this effects the movement. 







No comments:

Post a Comment