Friday 19 September 2014

Internship with Sara Sboul- Week 4

This week we tried to work out a better way to make the shopper as the original design needed some tweaking. I unpicked the first toile and cut out the pieces for the amended design. I also tried out a drawstring bag with PVC but we decided this wasn't the best materials for the shape of the bag. I visited Goldhawk Road one day, which is known for it's many fabric shops. Sara wanted samples and photos of fabric to use in the new collection. I had a vague list of the kind of things she wanted but used my own judgement in what I thought she would like. I went back the next day to buy Sara's favourites and haggled for the first time ever! I also visited a few shops on Berwick Street in Soho to buy a some PVC that Sara uses and went to a trim shop to buy D-rings for the bag straps. On one of the days I went to Kilburn Market down the road from the studio to collect a few things.  I learnt how to make piping which I then added to the seams when constructing the toile for the new design. This was a little tricky to get neat but I enjoyed the methodicalness of the task. I also visited the digital printers Sara uses to collect some fabric. She had her illustrations printed onto silk and velvet which both looked beautiful. These will be used for a garment in the new collection.

So a lot of adventures this week which I really enjoyed and I now feel confident getting around London.

Goldhawk Road


First attempt at a strawberry pompom



The lining being stitched over the top of the bag ready to be turned inside out.

No comments:

Post a Comment