Saturday 20 September 2014

Internship with Sara Sboul- Week 5

In my last week we really wanted to get the PVC bag finished before I went home. I constructed the new pattern, which was tricky but I got there in the end. I ten made up the lining which was probably the most difficult task I worked on. I found easing in the side panels hard, and they kept pleating every time I stitched them up. When I finally finished with out creases, I melted part of it with the iron! ALWAYS CHECK THE IRON TEMPERATURE BEFORE USE! So had to do one of the panels again. But eventually I did it. Although I struggled with this task, I learnt so much. It's one of those things where it really does just take a lot of practise. I then moved on to a new design. This toile worked so well, I finished it in a day!. It was so good to finally complete a bag. I learnt how to insert a zip too. So the rest of the week I cut out the pattern for the same bag in different fabrics and colours and lined them with interface. I cut out all the lining too and made up all the piping for them.



I have loved my internship experience. I have learnt so much about how small business is run, new techniques, problem solving, fabric sourcing, haggling, running errands, pattern cutting, time management, dealing with frustrations, what how different fabric behave... The list is endless. Even my time spent living in London had taught me a lot. I feel confident getting around now. Having my bike with me definitely helped with that. I know where to go for materials etc. I feel really inspired ready to start 3rd year.

Making piping with 3 sized cords- fake suede, wrinkly plether and PVC snakeskin

Finished Toile!

Cutting out pieces for the new design- four colour ways

Cutting out the lining for four bags





No comments:

Post a Comment