Monday 8 September 2014

Interview with Sara Sboul

At the start of July I secured an interview for an internship with fashion and accessories designer Sara Sboul, a 2013 graduate from Westminster The role was one I had applied for a couple of months earlier, which had been filled by, but she got in contact with me as a new role was available. It goes to show not to be disheartened if I don't hear back from employers right away.

The initial application listed the following:

interests /skills
• keen interest in learning how to make accessories
• basic pattern cutting knowledge ( not mandatory)
• basic adobe skills ( not mandatory)
• basic accessory construction /sewing skills
• keen interest in crochet, knit embroidery print /digital bead sequin work, punch needle embroidery, free hand embroidery, appliqué

Although I am capable of most of the above, I was a little concerned as I didn't have many example to show from 2nd year but luckily I had been working on sampling using more traditional embroidery techniques since we broke up for the summer so had quite a bit to choose from so put in my portfolio. 

The interview went really well and I secured the position. We chatted for nearly two hours and got on really well which is really important when working closely with someone in a small team. She was really accommodating with my commitments at the Just So Festival and we arranged for me to start after it had finished and to work for 5 weeks up until the start of term.

I am most looking forward to learning pattern cutting and construction as I wouldn't usually do this at Uni. I am also looking forward to the hand techniques as I think the practice will be really beneficial. I am guilty of shying away from slow processes at Uni but the only way I will get better is to get stuck in.

All I have to do now is find somewhere to stay

http://www.sarasboul.com/
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/sarasboul


No comments:

Post a Comment