Sunday 24 February 2013

Further Experimentation

I wanted to link some of my sampling with some of the processes I had experimented with during my development. I made a few plain cream cotton samples which I then worked over. One I sprayed with water so it was slightly damp and then covered with 100s&1000s like I had done with the receipts. The others I let sit in a small amount of water with red food colouring mixed in. I imagined the colour would soak up the sample. I also made some plain grey samples with dropped stitches that I wanted to fill with glue.


The sample on the left is the result of leaving 100s&1000s on it overnight, after being lightly sprayed with water. I love the subtlety of the colours left behind. On the right you can see where I painted watercolours over the dried glue that filled the holes to create a stained glass effect. I don't feel this is as successful as the colours are too bright but it was good to try anyway.

I am really pleased with the results of the food colouring test. For some reason, the areas where the sample was in contact with the colouring the longest turned a bright yellow colour but it looks really effective bleeding into the pink. I found cotton really difficult to knit with and in places there are little snags which I wasn't happy about. But now they've been dyed I think it looks quite good and looks a bit like the 100s&1000s.

No comments:

Post a Comment