Tuesday 8 October 2013

Responding to 'Roads Must Roll'

I did a little background research on the piece. It is by BoomBip, an American hiphop and electronic producer/musician. 'Roads must roll' is a science fiction short story written in the 1940s by Robert A. Heinlein. I listened to an audio recording of the story. It is set in the near future when "roadtowns" have replaces highways. The roads are constantly moving and when one day the road is turned off, chaos erupts.
I feel the driving rhythm of the piece reflects the continuous movement of the roads in Heinleins story.
This is contrasted by the main melodic motif in the strings, which feels very fluid and smooth.
To start I simply wanted to see what marks I could make to the music. I was mainly responding to the rhythm and melody. I prefer the piece done with my eyes closed as I had less control of the composition, therefore it looks more organic and free. Where as the piece done with my eyes open I think looks more filled out in the sense that I was purposely mark making in particular areas to fill the space. I will carry on working large scale as I felt like I could move to the music more whilst drawing.

Elements to work from:
Rhythm
Melody
Pattern
Dynamics
Emotional response
Phrases
Notation
Tempo


Mark making to melody rhythm with Indian ink on brush, A2

Mark making with eyes closed to melody and rhythm with charcoal, A4


No comments:

Post a Comment