Tuesday 20 May 2014

Costume making at SFTOC

Last year I volunteered at Sounds From The Other City in Salford and decided to get involved again. The volunteer coordinator Jamie put me in touch with performance collective, Volkov Commanders as they were in charge of Art Direction this year. I got the brief over the Easter break so started working on it straight away as to not interfere to much with Unit X. It was such a good experience as I had never made a costume before and was a real challenge working out the structure, and what materials to use etc. The design was really dictated by my materials and what I could do with them which is a nice way of working, and turns out is how the Volkov Commanders work to. I met lots of new people and got a real insight into the kind of work the Volkov Commander do. It turns out Anna and Mariel are Embroidery graduates from MMU and Aliyah studies Interactive Arts. On the actual day I performed in my costume in a parade which was really liberating, knowing that my identity was hidden. Hopefully I will stay in touch with them and who knows what opportunities could arise. It was a real confidence boost too as at first I felt out of my depth, having no clue how to make a costume, but I worked through it and achieved something I am proud of.



The finished piece
Costume Design


No comments:

Post a Comment